Monday, February 27, 2012

How did the subtle-scientists in Nepal contribute to their own demise?

Paradigm shift: What if we were to hypothesize that the subtle sciences are more powerful than the gross sciences?
Paradigm shift: What if we were to go further and say that all gross mechanisms are ultimately controlled by subtler mechanisms?
Paradigm shift: In computer science, there is the idea of an object extending from another object. Well what if we were to conjecture that the gross sciences are an extension of the subtle sciences?

What if the gross elements are extensions of the subtle elements? What if the laws of physics applicable in the macro environment (outer space) are also applicable in context on the micro-environment of earth?

Now that would be a radical paradigm shift in the world. What if we were to hypothesize that the more subtle the realm, the powerful it is? Could we prove that?  What if we were to say that it was more powerful to be in a subtler realm and to be in a grosser realm was less powerful. That would be a very interesting hypothesis to make.

What would happen if this was the dominant perspective in the world? Well for one, it would give the unlimited goods in this article some credit. If the subtler realm was given more acknowledgement and credit then I feel that the grosser realm would be seen more in perspective.

I feel that the problem with the world is that they are too attached to the gross realm and don't have enough faith in the subtle realm. The more people had faith in the subtle realm, they would loosen their grip around the limited goods in the world in the gross realm. The problem is that not enough people are experimenting with the subtle sciences to see the validity in them. I feel that if more people experimented with the subtle realm their faith in it would grow. 

What would it personally do for me? If the subtle realm was given the acknowledgement that I feel that it deserves, it would end a lot of issues in the world I feel. I feel the world suffers from an existential crisis. I feel the pressure is increasing on the paradigm to tip.


When I visualize the tipping of paradigms, for me, I see it like when this bird dunks it's head in the glass of water. I feel that the pressure keeps increasing on a society. And eventually the pressure for a paradigm to change grows to such an extent that it tilts the bird forward and forward. The bird bends on it's on weight of pressure building on his head. Finally when it can't stand the resistance any more, it bows. The exact point where the coolness of the water from the glass comes in contact with the liquid in the thermometer, coolling it down, is the tipping point. It is the cooling of the warm liquid that causes a restoration in equilibrium. Once the liquid (dichloromethane) in the bird cools down, the bird attains it's equilibrium. Then it starts to rock back and forth with a smile again.

I feel the pressure is increasing for the world's paradigm to change from one that only acknowledges the gross material realm to one that recognizes how the subtle realm interacts with the gross realm.

What's in it for me if that happened? 

Nepal has been a natural home of the subtle sciences. This is the contribution of my ancestors to the world. 

I see how much Hawaiian ancestors contributed to the Aloha spirit. Today I see Hawaiians fighting to maintain this culture. I, like Samoans and many other Polynesians, want to see this culture of my ancestors preserved. I don't want to preserve it down the road when it is already dead. I don't want the subtle sciences to be appreciated in a museum with regret. 

I see the Native American culture wrecked and ruined. And once it is dead, now they are weeping about it and trying to preserve it. Well, I feel that Nepalese should fight to preserve their culture before it's too late. Our spirituality and religion is part of our culture. I feel that Nepal has a lot to give to the world in this realm. I don't feel that Nepal needs to compete with the developed nations in materialism. I feel that Nepal's gifts to the world can be the subtle sciences. 

My own lack of ignorance of these subtle sciences led to much suffering in my life. My own practice of these sciences led to a lot of relief. It has contributed to my health. I have seen that many other people have benefitted from these practices. While acknowledging that there are many pitfalls in the subtle sciences, I feel good enough about it's benefits to endorse it. 

I feel that we have to see the subtle sciences the way we view technology. Every kind of technology can be used to help people or abused to hurt people. I can't think of an exception to this rule. Every object in this world can be used to hurt or to help. So why should the subtle sciences be the exception to this rule? As much as subtle sciences can be used to hurt people, it can also be used to help people. 

In many ways, the subtle sciences suffer from fear of the unknown-unknowns. We over-react and throw the baby out with the bathwater. And the dangers from the unknown-unknowns becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Why? We don't extend ourself to create a healthy positive relationship with everything that is in Pandora's box of unknown-unknowns

In using the above drinking bird, what I'm saying is that the pressure is steadily growing in the world for the subtle sciences, to come out of Pandora's box. It has been locked shut for too long. It is screaming to be heard both from within people and in cultures and societies out in the world. The silence is deafening.

The question naturally might come: if the subtle sciences are more powerful than the gross sciences and Nepal is the home to many of these subtle sciences, then why is Nepal not the most powerful nation on earth? 

I think that's a damned good question. And the answer to that question highlights the reason for the current problem in the world. The role that the subtle scientists historically played in Nepal contributed to their own demise as a profession. It is a fascinating story.

And despite Nepali subtle scientists having shot themselves in the foot, luckily, it didn't kill the subtle sciences. Visionaries like Carl G. Jung, Sri Aurobindo, A. C Bhaktivendanta Prabhupada, Vivekenanda, Goenka and many others have worked hard to keep it alive, thank God. I owe a huge debt to each of these individuals. They saved me from a lot of misery in this world. Without their help, I would be at much dis-ease with myself. I feel grateful for their contribution towards my health.

No comments:

Post a Comment