Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Criminal Operating System

In my school library I was using a computer. I fired up the computer. I typed up my paper. I had saved the paper in the My Documents folder of the computer. It took me about an hour or so when I typed up this paper. Finally, happy with how I'd done the paper, I went to press the print button. Weirdly enough when I went to print, and hit print, Windows decided to shut down. It was the weirdest thing in the world.

The librarian was in front of me and she saw my look of horror as the computer shut down.

"Well at least I saved it on the hard-drive," I said.

She said, "I, uh, don't know how to tell you this but the computer completely cleans out the hard-drive every time it does a hard-reboot of the system. There is not going to be any trace or evidence that you had typed a paper in that computer."

So the question comes up, if the only way to prove that I had typed my paper was to dust the keyboard and mouse on that computer, could I in fact, prove in anyway that I had typed my paper? The damned operating system had a brand new birth every time it rebooted. It was like it was born with a brand new body every time it was born. There was no trace that anyone did anything on that damned operating system while the computer was on.

No comments:

Post a Comment