Saturday, February 25, 2012

Deep Breathing and Emotional Equilibrium


vaco vegam manasah krodha-vegam
jihva-vegam udaropastha-vegam
etan vegan yo visaheta dhirah
sarvam apimam prthivim sa sisyat
A self-controlled person who can overcome the impulses of speech, the mind, anger, the tongue, belly and genitals is qualified to instruct the whole world. Quoted from here.

I found that breathing from the lowest part of my body kept me in emotional equilibrium to the point that I could feel the whole line from the tongue, belly down to the genitals completely relax. Otherwise generally for me, my tongue is very tense in my mouth. My belly feels like there is a flame burning on it. But while doing deep breathing from the lowest part of my body as I could, I found the whole line that makes the symmetry of the front of my body be relaxed. Otherwise I feel the tongue and belly are very reactive.

Waves of sensations are constantly reverberating all over the body.
We should maintain emotional equilibrium no matter what the mood of the sea is. 
Deep breathing helps with that.

Deep breathing seems to remove the fuel from the flame on the belly, so to say. So if the fuel is removed, then there is no flame. No flame and the body is in equilibrium. Breathe out from where ever you feel sensations and the sensations stop burning. Then the body is calm. This worked on Ritalin. I'm curious if it would work without it.  

Deep breathing seems to pretty much kill thinking and the thought process. The mind is rested. I have found that I generally have to hold my breath when I think. Apparently many people have found this. They hold their breath when they need to focus or concentrate. For me when I am thinking a lot, I feel my back tense up. That is where I feel the tension--on my upper back. I feel sensations. I visualize it like white veins. I'm sure everyone visualizes it in their own way. All I know is that when I feel this sensation, I have a very difficult time sleeping.

I've found Vipassana to be a great tool in practicing all the above and being aware of the body. The essence of Vipassana is equilibrium and awareness. Vipassana has taught me to see my body as a precision tool.  Every action of the body creates an equal and opposite reaction. I feel that this is what Jung talked about when I was talking of the conflict of opposites.

Vipassana says that there needs to be a balance between awareness of sensation and equilibrium. In my case I think I was very aware of sensation but I didn't have enough equilibrium. Too much awareness of sensation produces anxiety. The more deep breathing I am doing it is cooling me down. The cooler I am getting the clearer I can think. I can feel the fire of my belly cooling down. The lower parts of my body is cool.

Boudhanath has different parts of it. The top part is what Srila A.C Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada brought to the West. The lower parts can be realized through Vipassana and the different yoga disciplines I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment